ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cplittleton
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?
Internal SSD for iMac
9 months ago

All -

I've been looking for an external SSD for my iMac (2010, 27"). My current HDD is filling fast since I acquired a new dSLR recently with much more resolution than my previous body.  My library is in the 400GB range right now, and it seems to be growing by leaps and bounds now.  Therefore, the somewhat common 120GB and 240TB thunderbolt SSDs are of no help - I need something in the 1TB range.

I'm struggling to find an external 1TB SSD for less than about $1000(us). Being a 2010 iMac, I don't have USB 3, so Thunderbolt is my only external connection option; if I use USB2 I might as well use one of the portable HDDs I have laying around.

After looking at OWC, I'm toying with dropping an internal SSD into my iMac as a second drive. The internal SSDs sell for about half the cost of the external ones and provide onboard connectivity instead of Thunderbolt or USB.  The OWC install video makes it seem pretty simple, just time consuming due to some fiddly parts and small screws/connectors.

Has anyone tried installing a second internal drive on an iMac?  Was it successful?  Would you do it again?

CPLittleton

cplittleton's gear list:cplittleton's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Nik HDR Efex Pro +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow