Started Nov 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,245Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon not exactly "small player"
In reply to marike6, Nov 20, 2013

marike6 wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

Fujfilm on the other hand enjoys a 100% genuine photographic heritage and have forged a niche for themselves in the increasingly competitive digital camera industry.

It is the relatively small players I am worried about, like Nikon, Leica and Hasselblad that deserve to survive more than most IMO. I don't care about Sony, it can go back to doing what it does well, making radios, computer game consoles and T.V's. But Nikon, Leica and Hasselblad, like Fujifilm, are the real deal in the world of photographics. There's nothing fake in anything they do - none of them had to "buy" their expertise in photographics, each have earned their right to always be a part of the industry in my opinion.

I agree with you except Nikon is not a "small player" in the sense that along with Canon, they sell more cameras than anyone. In fact Thom Hogan wrote about how Nikon is projected to overtake Canon in worldwide sales.

Perhaps you meant that Niikon is not a huge electronics conglomerate like Sony, but clearly they are not "a small player" like Leica or Hasselblad. Here in the US for example, Leica has around 1% of the camera market, while Nikon and Canon together account for close to 50% of the market. And AFAIK, Canon and Nikon have been 1 and 2 in the world for some time.

But yes, Nikon and Fujifilm are absolutely two "real deal", legendary photographic companies, but I would also add Pentax (now owned by Ricoh) and Canon to that list.

But if I were you I wouldn't be worried about Nikon a) for the obvious reason, because they are extremely successful with profits in the billions, and b) because they also make optics and things like steppers which are used in semiconductors which are always needed c) because their parent company is Mitsubishi, one of the most successful companies in Japan.

Unless you are referring to the profits in terms of the yen, Nikon's net income is nowhere close to being in the billions. Nikon's net income for the first half of the current fiscal year was 13.6 billion yen = 136 million dollars.

Imaging comprises more of Nikon's business than that of any other major camera company. Operating income for the imaging division was approximately 10 times that of the precision equipment division. For the most part, it is also a false premise that large companies will continue to fund unprofitable products. While this may be true for the short term, it is bad business practice over the long run.

Regarding Mitsubishi, as Thom Hogan noted, Nikon is "an independent company with its shares traded on the Nikkei." Keiretsu, groups of companies that are centered around a major bank, used to have significant control of the companies in the keiretsu. However, the keiretsu system has become increasingly irrelevant. The fact that Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi group of companies (keiretsu) has essentially no practical relevance.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/nikon/about-nikon/nikon-faq/is-nikon-a-subsidiary-of.html

Anyway, I'm glad Fujifilm is doing well, I'm on my third X camera, and X-E1. Hoping to see some more reasonably priced, but still high quality lenses (not into this up market pricing BS). But I've always loved their lenses back when I shot Large Format, where Fujinon lenses are some of the best you can buy.

Lastly, I thought Mr Wong was overplaying it a bit. The D800 is not "beastly to carry around" and it doesn't weight 1 kilogram (2.2 lbs) more like 800 g. Yes, it's a bit heavier than more mirrorless cameras, but then these are few mirrorless cameras that as good IQ and the huge number of inexpensive and high grade lenses that are available for F-mount. I love my X-E1, but whenever I read mirrorless fans exaggerate about DSLRs I kind of tune out. It's not like a DSLR is a Sinar F or Mamiya RB67, or some 3 kilo (6.7 lbs) monster camera studio camera. What Wong is doing is called an oversell.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow