Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sbruno
Contributing MemberPosts: 870Gear list
Like?
EOS M -> GF3: Am I crazy?
11 months ago

So I've been shooting with an EOS M for the past few weeks as a backup to my D600. Mostly I take it out with the kids. I love the IQ, fast 22mm lens, compact size, and excellent build. That said, IMHO the UI is something out of a science fiction movie and the shutter button can be unresponsive at times, making it hard to grab shots of the kids in the moment (I never know if the shutter is going to fire right away or if I'll have to hit the button twice). However, the M is still an excellent little package for $300 and if I weren't shooting an active toddler, I wouldn't hesitate to use it indefinitely.

Fast forward to yesterday - in a screw-up on my part, I ended up scoring a nice Panasonic GF3 with kit lens on fleabay for $142. Now I'm thinking of selling off the M, adding a 20/1.7 and sticking with m43 as my DSLR backup. The M system, if I were to add the kit lens to the 22mm, would cost about the same as the GF3 system with the kit lens and 20mm (each ~ $400 total). I figure that the extra stop of high ISO performance on the M will be partially offset by the faster aperture of the 20mm lens. Am I crazy to have these thoughts?

FYI, I have owned a number of m43 bodies and lenses in the past and found them to be very responsive and the 12MP sensor to be acceptable for my needs when paired with a fast lens. And even though the 20mm isn't the fastest to focus, I remember it being pretty good in most situations (a bit faster then the M + 22mm, I believe). And of course, m43  offers much more of an upgrade path than the M does at present.

What do you all think - M or GF3?

Steve

Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow