film scanners and scan 4x5
opticsguy wrote: Am interested to purchase a film scanner. 98% of my film will be 6x7, 6x12, and 35mm sizes. The other 2% would be 4x5. Thinking of something like the Epson V-600 however there is no film holder for 4x5". Would there also be film holders for 8X10" Are there after market film holders for 4x5 film that will work on this or other film scanners?
The only problem as such, because the scanners cover A4, is the overhead light source. Those for all the Epson scanners I know about (may be incorrect for later ones?) but my older 1200 has a light overhead source that limits to 5x4 maximum. The holders (35mm, 120 film and 5x4) were always flimsy plastic frames - not exactly designed to last long unless used very carefully. The engineering for the overhead "transparency" light boxes was such that they plugged into the body of the scanner and thus switched off the reflective illumination inside the scanner itself.
I had, originally, a Mustek A4 scanner - had an accessory purchased separately that offered A4 overhead illumination. Originally, the reflective light inside the body stayed ON and the overhead light was separately connected to the mains. After some time, Mustek provided new drivers that could enable the scanner to work with its own reflective light turned off.
So, you could search around for one of the separate light heads (are a full A4) for the Mustek - must be some around. I can report that I can use this on my older Epson 1200 Perfection scanner and having the internal light ON causes no real problems but of course, being velly clever .... I can plug in the Epson 5x4 tranny head and leave it to one side, so the scanner thinks that is being used and switches off the internal lighting.
Hope that helps you - a few searches - and perhaps checking if any well established dealers have a Mustek head still in stock - or perhaps even an inexpensive complete scanner and illuminated head could solve all your problems. BTW - the Mustek had only a "real" dpi of 600 but was fine fo0r 5x4 and even 6x9 if only up to A3 required. Could interpolate but that was pseudo, so not real dpi. Totally useless for 35mm unless 6x4 print required.
Of course - one other possible answer especially for 35mm (depending on your camera equipment) would be to photograph using the camera and something like an illuminated box for viewing trannies - I had an X-ray viewer for such purposes when working as a Pro. Using a camera for high quality copying has been discussed extensively and I have contributed on a number of occasions. Far better than virtually all film scanners, especially as existing equipment may be suitable without extra expense.
Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf