turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
Re: Fotodiox x Novoflex x Voigtlander: M-mount adapter cagematch
In reply to Letsgokoulos, 8 months ago

Letsgokoulos wrote:

PaulR wrote:

How did you shim the adapter?

If you want an accurate hard stop on infinity, the only solution is shimming the adaptor. I have made the choice of cheaper adaptors so I could purchase one per lens and then shim it accurately. Since it is dedicated to a specific lens, it never is dissassembled and therefore does not deteriorate.

Marc

I remove the steel plate of the adaptor on the lens side (usually 3 or 4 screws), then place little strips of adhesive tin/aluminum foil evenly around inside the adaptor, around the screw holes. I then reassemble the top, and check the infinity setting. If it still is not accurate, I repeat the operation. I usually have to place 2 or 3 layers of foil to get an accurate infinity setting, this is a trial and error procedure.

The Focus Assist magnification helps finding the infinity point easily, the time consuming part is the number of iterations you need to get the number of layers of foil right.

For what it's worth: short lenses have a shallow depth of focus so the shim has a larger affect on the focus scale. If shimmed accurately with a short lens it should be equally accurate with a longer lens.

I just found back a link to a more graphical explanation of the procedure.

Marc

Just double-checking -- you remove the lens side? I had thought it was body side (and, as best as I can see in the link, it looks like the body side there).

Anyhow, these manufactures should just include a few shims.

fwiw, when I tried to shim, it turned out my tiniest glasses Phillips head screwdriver was still too big. I'd rather just have an adapter that reaches infinity out-of-the-box (and plenty of people seem to have them).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow