Is the X-A1 the right camera for me?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
bimbert84
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
Re: Is the X-A1 the right camera for me?
In reply to CameraGuyTV, 9 months ago

CameraGuyTV wrote:

Your list of requirements is substantial for your budget.

Shallow depth of field is achieved with a lens that has an f stop of 1.4. A lens like that can cost what your budget requires.

Hi CameraGuyTV,

I think it comes down to expectations. I have seen sample images from this camera, with the kit lens, that I find stunning. I imagine a more discerning eye might find them horrible.

http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/fujifilm_x_a1_photos/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/fujifilm/x-a1/sample-photos-283.html

Follow the top link, and near the bottom of the JPEGs are a couple shots with a sign that says "Welcome To Costa." Those are high ISO, indoor shots. Above that are a couple shallow DOF pics shot at f/5.6. I am extremely impressed with all of those.

The question that nobody has answered for me is: will I be able to get shots like that with this camera, or would they require a professional photographer at the controls?

So, a good combination would be the M1 or AX1 - I personally believe the X sensors are better in low light. The AX1 is a more traditional sensor. The lens of choice would be the 35. Now, that combination is going to cost you closer to $1K. Simple as that.

I understand that such a combination will cost close to $1k, but the entire purpose of this thread is to determine if I need it. Specifically, I want to know if the kit lens will meet my needs. I won't be buying this camera if I need to purchase an additional lens.

Why not consider a M43 camera. Something like the Panasonic GF series and their great 20mm 1.7 lens.

I've given strong consideration to M43, but came to the conclusion that I'd need to buy additional lenses. The 1.7 you mention is almost $500.

Oly also has some great deals on bodies priced under $300, and that would still allow for the purchase of a 1.7 lens.

I've not seen anything in the Oly M43 that I like. Do you have a specific model? Then again, cost of the 1.7 lens is almost $500.

You can't have everything for your budget.

That seems to be the question of the day. I just want to take clean pictures of my family in the house. I find it very hard to believe I need to spend $1000 to be able to do that.  I'm really not interested in changing lenses at all -- I'm considering an ILC only because I saw one in particular (the X-A1) that seems to have incredibly low noise out-of-the-box.

It's frustrating because for every person that says something will work, there's another that says it won't. I don't have the luxury of getting this wrong, so my default is to buy nothing. At least that way I haven't made a mistake.

-- hide signature --

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow