unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Fuji X10 HDR & Fast photo
In reply to Trevor G, Nov 20, 2013

Trevor G wrote:

cantanima wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

There's no need to bracket if you shoot RAW+.

Yes, there is. It's basic mathematics: once a photosite's capacity is full, no amount of postprocessing a raw file will give you that data back. Bracketing allows one to obtain more information.

We could go on like this all day - you with theory and me with practical examples.

Absolutely nothing in your email addressed the question of exposure bracketing +/-1 with three shots. Perhaps you should reread what I'm doing, and pause to think about it before mashing the "reply" button.

ON a very high contrast scene like the Albury Railway Station this still retains all highlights, even though the metering would tend to lift the exposure higher than it should be.

If you expose one image only to retain highlights, how would you retain the shadows? You yourself argued here not two weeks ago that you couldn't recover shadows with the X10. (You'll recall that I didn't take a position, but I didn't buy your argument.)

For the sake of argument, let's suppose you were correct. The explanation is simple: the dark exposure retains highlights, but the bright exposure was not bright enough to capture shadows. One shot in DR 400 gives only two exposures, neither of which (by your claims) contains enough information in the shadows to recover them correctly.

By bracketing, however, the +1 exposure captures more shadows than the +0 exposure, while the -1 exposure captures more highlights. The trick is to blend them accurately. The OP wanted to post process, so this isn't a problem.

I've done this using AE bracketing on an HS25EXR's JPGS, in situations where the contrast was similar to your railway station; subsequent postprocessing produced a very nice image, but I had only 2EV difference to work with. With an HS10EXR's RAW files, the difference between the shorter of the two exposures at "-1 EV" the and the longer of the two exposures at "+1EV" would actually be higher than 2EV.

However, the JPEGs genrally don't retain the same highlight information as the RAW contains. Generally.

Of course not: a JPG retains 8 bits of color information; an X10's RAW file retains 12 bits, and an X20's RAW file retains 14. (This is one "theoretical" argument in favor the X20's improved DR in that image, incidentally.) All the same, the in-camera processor can recover an enormous amount of both highlight and shadow information. In some conditions, it will even produce images that take the first step towards the oversaturated look of some HDR images.

cantanima's gear list:cantanima's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm X10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow