m43 instead of FF

Started Nov 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,889Gear list
Like?
Re: m43 instead of FF
In reply to amalric, Nov 20, 2013

amalric wrote:

Makers must be aware that the drift towards FF35 has a delusional element.

yes sir. I firmly believe in the idea of there is no best, only what you are willing to pay for. It is however amazing how many people i have seen shooting FF with a 3.5-5.6 kit lens and thinking it's amazing. The same could be done with an APSC and a lens a stop or so faster, which usually costs less total than the FF kit they are using. It is also lighter, and fits in smaller bags.

As for the differences between APS and m4/3 they are small enough to make sensor technology the true differentiator. This and lenses availability.

There is a difference, but not huge. This may change as well, as Panasonic and Fuji are rumored to be working on some crazy new sensor tech which is supposed to gain ground. The main issue i have is a lot of MFT lenses cost as much or more than apsc lenses, which is why i say apsc is the lens sweet spot for value.

Lenses and their price therefore make a big difference.

yes sir. This is a capture from DPR, not completely scientific but good for our purposes. Nikon D4 @iso 3200, and my old camera Pentax K-5 IIs @1600. They are almost exactly one stop apart in noise performance. This means I can "catch" the D4 by simply buying a lens that is one stop faster and using one stop lower iso than i would on a D4.

My K-5 IIs cost me $1300 new. The fastest lens i can buy for pentax is a F1.4, lets go with the Pentax FA 50mm F/1.4, $450 at B&H. So take any FF with the noise performance of the D4, and you must buy a lens at least F/2 in order to match or beat the pentax setup. A 50mm F/1.4 on crop is a decent portrait rig, and is only bested by a FF with larger than F/2 lens? You are right when you call it a delusional element. Of course there is more to FF than cost, dynamic range, AF speed and other features matter too. But most people are talking only about IQ when they discuss format wars, and it's not a huge difference. Honestly if i was going to buy FF, it would be bc those cameras (D4, 1Dx, A99) tend to have superior AF and speed, not bc of IQ.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow