Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 4,073Gear list
Like?
Re: m43 instead of FF
In reply to Christof21, Nov 19, 2013

Christof21 wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

I read that the Sony A7 / A7r beats the Fujis in low light

This is exactly the reason why I say that larger sensors are overrated . Do you mean that you compare images at similar ISO ? This comparison is not fair !! Hopefully, the bigger sensor will perform better, if it was not the case (or if it was only 10% better), I would choose the smaller sensor for low light conditions because it would mean the sensor is more efficient.

Yea, the idea of a larger sensor is a tricky thing. This is bc sensor size is not the only factor in light gathering, lenses are the other half of the equation. This is where it gets hairy. The problem is, some people want to claim bigger sensors are always going to be better (in regards to noise, in this conversation). On a static scale, this is true, but price is ALWAYS a factor for 99% of us. Since larger apertures cost more, and since larger sensors require larger apertures to get that extra light, cost will always be tied in.

Honestly, we should always look at things in a "Best per $X-$X" scenario. There will always be better. FF fanboys get owned by MF in terms of resolution and DR. It's all a matter of what is the best for how much you can spend. Forget size and weight, most of us could deal with a tradeoff there if we knew the IQ was better than any other camera. I mean who wouldn't use a large APSC that had better IQ in every way than a Phase One? Cost on the other hand, that is more static. If we cannot afford it, we cannot afford it.

If i am never willing to buy a $3000 F/2.8 FF lens to use with a 5DII, and instead would have to settle for an F/4, wouldn't i be better off instead with an APSC attached to an F/2.8 crop lens? Same amount of light, less cost, less size and weight. The key is budget. If you are willing to spend for the larger glass to get the apertures needed to feed larger sensors, yes, it's an advantage. If you are not willing to buy the equivalent glass, larger sensors are just bragging rights.

I think APSC is where the lenses start to become better value per aperture. This is why i personally believe this format will survive. It is why some brands (pentax, fuji) are in no hurry to flood the market with FF.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow