ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
foodiepics2012
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Maximizing the use of the RX100
Nov 19, 2013

All,

I started a thread yesterday about possibly moving up from the RX100 to the RX100 II or maybe the RX1, and many of your replies made me realize I'm possibly not using the RX100 to its full potential. I've decided to create a new thread with an example to help illustrate my main issue.

I take pictures of food at restaurants. When it's broad daylight and the restaurant has good light, there are no issues. But at night, and specially at restaurants that only have one small candle on the table as a light source, it gets tricky.

A few things to bare in mind: I'm at a restaurant not at my studio. So no flash, not much time to play around with settings, and I know you will all say get a tripod, but it just looks silly (I may rest it on a glass though). This is why I went with the RX100: discreet, small and no need for flash.

So when the light conditions are poor, I usually take the picture with the regular intelligent function and then increase the light and play around with the colors with iPhoto, but usually the results are artificial and poor.

I'm looking to get a great picture with a point and shoot. So I've figured out that with the right settings using the M mode (ISO, aperture, shutter speed), you can get a pretty good, lit up shot despite the conditions.  And here is where my question comes in: is this the best possible shot?

I provide two examples for illustration. I've detailed the settings I used in the M function.

Finally, someone suggested shooting RAW and editing. I did just that and ended with an even better pic using the M function but it's 4 times the size of the jpg and not sure if it's worth the extra HD space required, etc. What do I need to do to this RAW file to get it to a manageable format?

Thanks a lot,

J

Image 1: Cake with intelligent function

Image 2: cake with M function and ISO 6400, shutter speed 1/25 and aperture F1.8

Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow