m43 instead of FF

Started Nov 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,589
Like?
Re: Can't change the laws of physics
In reply to stimpy, Nov 19, 2013

stimpy wrote:

I see what you are getting at, but there is more to DOF than just lens speed. That's only 1 part of 3 variables that result in an out of focus backgrounds.

All things being equal, FF will produce shallower DOF, as you perfectly demonstrated in your nice little test But in reality, you know that could just get closer to the subject, or use a longer focal length lens etc to achieve more or less DOF on a smaller sensor, be it APSC or m43. It's partly up to the person behind the camera, not just up to the equipment.

Of course one can quite easily 'blur the background into oblivion' with m43 or APSC, it isn't something that is reserved just for full frame users.

What I would say is that this will soon be a moot point anyway because it won't be too long until that depth of field will be adjustable by software, and to a professional standard.

When that happens even mobile phones will have the shallow DOF of fullframe, and when that happens I think that will be one of the biggest things to hit the camera market in terms of sales.

Oly and Pan will probably be the first to adopt it in camera as well.

not sure I like the idea of that, but it's inevitable...

Absolutely! But it really comes down to versatility. If I'm taking a portrait on a FF camera and want the compression of an 85mm with a DOF at f1.8, I'm not going to get it out of a M43 camera. I can have my subject take a few steps forward to get the same amount of background blur, but that still won't allow me to get the same variations on my subject such as having tack sharp eyes and slightly OOF ears. Plus increasing the distance between you and your subject or your subject and background changes the composition and is not always possible.

I could just move my guitar back a bit farther to get it as OOF on M43 as FF or APS-C, but then the guitar would be much smaller totally changing the images composition.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow