Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?
Nonesense regarding high resolution sensors
8 months ago

Ever since the announcement of the D800 I have Found myself surrounded by misinformation regarding high resolution camera sensors. It actually amazes me from how high a level some of this nonesense is coming.

High Resolution sensors are an advantage no matter what lens you are using. The advice that you are only going to get good pictures out of a High resolution camera if you shoot it on a tripod with the best possible lenses at between f/5.6 and 8 is so oft repeated that people are regarding it as fact.

Even if it were true (and we are going to return to this idea later) that you only got the benefit of the high resolution in these controlled circumstances it would still be idiotic to limit using your camera this way. Any reasonable person would just view this as a benefit you cannot always achieve and continue to use there camera for what was needed.

This information is often given in a way I would swear was intended to make people think they can somehow get less sharp pictures by having a higher resolution sensor. This is the opposite of what is true. You will only every get more detail by having a high resolution camera (I Promise)

Further this idea that you only get a benefit in the best of circumstances is wrong. Perhaps it applies to motion blur and using a tripod but in the realm of lens quality in is fallacious nonesense. No objective testing bears this out. In reality all lenses seem to get similar bump in quality from a high resolution sensor. A D800 or an A7R is going to give you a similar bump in sharpness almost no matter what lens you use.

Let me play this out with an example. I have a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8. It is among the sharpest lenses you can buy for a nikon right now. And combined with a D800 it is hard to imagine a camera that is going to give you sharper pictures and it is great to know that when your shooting that you are getting the best quality images possible. I also have a Sigma 12-24 f3.5-f5.6. It is actually a quite sharp lens especailly when it is in the range of focal lengths that other wide zooms can provide. below 17 mm though it is a little rough. at 12mm it has some serious edge sharpness and field curvature issues. But it is also a unique abilitiy to have a rectilinear 12mm lens and very cool. Its like a fish eye effect but a little more grown up without the intentional distortion and no other lens can do it. And though I know it suffer some quality issues (most wide lenses do) I also know that I am getting the best optical quality i can out of it with the high res sensor. Either way its only a benefit

Trent

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow