(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Can't change the laws of physics
In reply to mr moonlight, 10 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Caerolle wrote:

These are gorgeous!

My point is not that 35mm is best, just the opposite. I think what can take the kinds of shots you want with the least fuss and muss and the most fun is the best format for you for those shots. And, as you indicate, even for the same person, a different format may be best for a different kind of shot. I am just tired of the '4/3 can do anything anyone needs to do, and APS-C users are the worst kind of deluded idiots' posts.

That really isn't what's being said - at least not on this thread. I think you are reading too much into some comments.

Seems to me there are 2 camps here, one saying they would never use m43 because it is too small, and just isn't good enough, and another simply asking "why?".

And so far, there hasn't been a single sensible reply to that.

The only real difference between M43, APSC and FF is DOF. Everything else is variable depending on what lens you use or how good your sensor is. IQ has been across the board steadily improving and for all those who say, FF or APS-C will always be a step above M43, yes, that may be true, but at a certain point, it doesn't really matter. For a lot of people, we've reached that point.

I'll answer the question to why isn't M43 good enough with photos? Here's 3 images. All taken with the same camera but showing equivalent DOF you would get at F1.2 on each format at 50mm. I figure that most people aren't going to have lenses much faster than that regardless of what format they use. I know the image isn't that exciting, but it's what I had on my desk at the moment. The focus point is the shutter button.

M43 Equivalent

APS-C Equivalent

FF

So if you want to blur your backgrounds in to oblivion, the larger your sensor the better. Nothing wrong with M43, but when I want really thin DOF to maximize separation between the subject and background, APS-C does a better job and FF much more so at smaller apertures. That means I have the ability to get thinner DOF when I need it, or stop my lens down a bit in order to maximize sharpness, minimize aberrations while still maintaining thin DOF. You can already see a significant difference in CA's in these images from F1.2 - F2.5.

I see what you are getting at, but there is more to DOF than just lens speed. That's only 1 part of 3 variables that result in an out of focus backgrounds.

All things being equal, FF will produce shallower DOF, as you perfectly demonstrated in your nice little test But in reality, you know that could just get closer to the subject, or use a longer focal length lens etc to achieve more or less DOF on a smaller sensor, be it APSC or m43. It's partly up to the person behind the camera, not just up to the equipment.

Of course one can quite easily 'blur the background into oblivion' with m43 or APSC, it isn't something that is reserved just for full frame users.

What I would say is that this will soon be a moot point anyway because it won't be too long until that depth of field will be adjustable by software, and to a professional standard.

When that happens even mobile phones will have the shallow DOF of fullframe, and when that happens I think that will be one of the biggest things to hit the camera market in terms of sales.

Oly and Pan will probably be the first to adopt it in camera as well.

not sure I like the idea of that, but it's inevitable...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow