Senior MemberPosts: 1,192Gear list
Like?
Re: Can't change the laws of physics
In reply to mr moonlight, 10 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Caerolle wrote:

These are gorgeous!

My point is not that 35mm is best, just the opposite. I think what can take the kinds of shots you want with the least fuss and muss and the most fun is the best format for you for those shots. And, as you indicate, even for the same person, a different format may be best for a different kind of shot. I am just tired of the '4/3 can do anything anyone needs to do, and APS-C users are the worst kind of deluded idiots' posts.

That really isn't what's being said - at least not on this thread. I think you are reading too much into some comments.

Seems to me there are 2 camps here, one saying they would never use m43 because it is too small, and just isn't good enough, and another simply asking "why?".

And so far, there hasn't been a single sensible reply to that.

The only real difference between M43, APSC and FF is DOF. Everything else is variable depending on what lens you use or how good your sensor is. IQ has been across the board steadily improving and for all those who say, FF or APS-C will always be a step above M43, yes, that may be true, but at a certain point, it doesn't really matter. For a lot of people, we've reached that point.

I'll answer the question to why isn't M43 good enough with photos? Here's 3 images. All taken with the same camera but showing equivalent DOF you would get at F1.2 on each format at 50mm. I figure that most people aren't going to have lenses much faster than that regardless of what format they use. I know the image isn't that exciting, but it's what I had on my desk at the moment. The focus point is the shutter button.

M43 Equivalent

APS-C Equivalent

FF

So if you want to blur your backgrounds in to oblivion, the larger your sensor the better. Nothing wrong with M43, but when I want really thin DOF to maximize separation between the subject and background, APS-C does a better job and FF much more so at smaller apertures. That means I have the ability to get thinner DOF when I need it, or stop my lens down a bit in order to maximize sharpness, minimize aberrations while still maintaining thin DOF. You can already see a significant difference in CA's in these images from F1.2 - F2.5.

Yep this is all it boils down to. The only absolute is the DOF difference, FF, APS-C is about 1-1 1/3rd wider than FF, and M43 is 2 stops wider than FF, difference between m43rds and aps-c is less than a stop.

In many cases, you'll actually want more DOF, does nobody here ever stop down their lenses for extra DOF? If you do, M43rds provides an advantage, as you can use a faster aperture and lower ISO, which evens the playing field in terms of both DR and noise. I think many people use extreme DOF as a crutch, if you spend more time working on lighting and composition, you won't need to completely annihilate your background. Though to be perfectly fair, if you want to isolate a full body portrait on M43rds, your only option is to place the subject very far from the background, or use a long lens like the 75/1.8(150mm equiv). Hopefully the Panasonic 42/1.2 will help there, which is equivilenet to a FF 85 2.4 lens or so. I usually stop my Sigma 85/1.4 down to 2-2.8 anyway, or 4-5.6 for headshots, as DOF at 85/1.4 on FF is far too narrow for most uses.

Not to mention real world advantages like IBIS on Olympus bodies when using primes, which mean lower shutter speeds and lower ISO, so better image quality than APS-C without IS in low light where the ISO differences are apparent, though of course that doesn't apply when you need to freeze motion.

I shoot M43rds, APS-C and FF, EM5(EM1 on its way) Sony A580, and Sony A900. The M43rds gear does everything the APS-C camera can do and then some (faster and more accurate AF), so I will sell that soon. The A900 still has an advantage for extremey narrow DOF shooting, especially with my 85/1.4 and 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 lenses, but if I put my a900 and these 3 lenses in a bag the total weight is close to 10 pounds. So my M43rds system gets used for basically everything but paid work (and even for paid work I take it as a quick and light alt that I can carry on an extra strap, and have no problem mixing shots from both cameras).

To me, M43rds is the perfect balance of size, weight, and IQ, and the system as a whole is still much more mature than Fuji, NEX, EOS M, Samsung, etc. If Fuji had a very responsive mature camera like the EM5, EM1, or GX7, and also had IBIS, I would be tempted to use it and drop both M43rds and FF, because I really like Fuji's lenses (even if there aren't as many choices), but alas, that looks unlikely to happen, so I'll stick with M43 and FF for now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow