Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
Re: Fotodiox x Novoflex x Voigtlander: M-mount adapter cagematch
In reply to Letsgokoulos, 10 months ago

Letsgokoulos wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

Sorry, I'm losing track -- the Fotodiox properly hits infinity?

Even the high quality adaptors will not guarantee accurate infinity on the lens hard stop. They need to have a tolerance, for mechanical reasons and because each lens may have slightly different settings. Any good quality adapter will make sure that you can go past infinity, so if you want infinity you have to manually adjust before the infinity mark.

You may be lucky and have the adaptor providing infinity with a lens, but it most likely will not work 100% with other lenses in the same mount.

If you want an accurate hard stop on infinity, the only solution is shimming the adaptor. I have made the choice of cheaper adaptors so I could purchase one per lens and then shim it accurately. Since it is dedicated to a specific lens, it never is dissassembled and therefore does not deteriorate.

Marc

Thanks, though I'm not so sure how accurate that is.

Voightlander, for example, will tell you that their adapter should focus on infinity when you reach the hard stop -- and plenty of people report adapters that stop where they want.

I think it may come down more to sample variation.

Also, regarding shimming -- I'd be more into that if they designed the adapters to be shimmed, and included a few shims.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow