Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Flick
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,818Gear list
Like?
advice on cutting roll paper
9 months ago

I must have been mad. i thought I'd save some money and buy a roll of 17" X15 metres of Permajet Portrait 220. Between trying not to mark, bend or graze the paper while measuring it off the roll, I had a fun time! I don't have a studio, this is a small house and all my writing, post processing, printing etc happens one side of the dining room, which is open plan to the hall and kitchen. Did I mention I have two dogs and four cats? Then there was trying to prevent the heavy roll from absconding onto the floor whilst being cut. I don't have a large enough guillotine so had to measure and cut by hand with a ruler and scalpel, using the cardboard from a box of A3 as a template (largely because I'm rubbish at measuring and always get it wrong, even when I'm careful; it's a spatial awareness thing). Then, because the paper is a little wider than A3 is long, I had to trim it down again on one edge (it's destined for an A3 folio at present).

Two attempts at printing convinced me the paper has to be flattened before use (yes, i know, but I'm impatient - and I did manage to get it to print). So I've been posting it into an empty A3 Canon Pro Platinum box, trying not to abrade the sheets on each other whilst inserting them.

So...does anyone have any suggestions on easier ways to cut the paper? I probably won't put myself through this again. But, on the other hand, I might get very proficient at cutting from a roll and decide to keep economising!

The good news is that my UK bought ink does indeed work in my American Pro 100, so that's a relief.

-- hide signature --
Olympus FE-20 (C-25 / X-15)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow