ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Aardvark UK
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Which laptop for Photoshop & Lightroom?
5 months ago

Hello,

I realise this is a perennial problem posed multiple times but as ever I'm afraid I'm going to bring it up again.

I currently use a 5 year old HP laptop to run Lightroom 5.2 and Photoshop CS6 (to process RAW files from my Canon 6D). Although they do run the whole process is painfully slow and even things like Internet Explorer are becoming impossible. Not to mention the half centimetre wide strip of hot pixels running all of the way down the centre of my screen.

My computer use tends to be limited to: Lightroom 5.2, Photoshop CS6, MS Office and general internet browsing including streaming on demand TV content. Portability is less important than it was to me a year ago but I still require a laptop, vice desktop, and will add a 27 or so inch display at a later date. Currently all of my images are stored on a USB3.0 external hard drive, even though my laptop only has USB2.0, and then backed up to 2 further independent USB3.0 external hard drives.

What are your opinions on the following UK laptops for my needs (I would love a MacBook Pro but already own Photoshop CS6 for Windows and I'm not sure I could justify the extra cost)?

1. Dell XPS 15 (£1749)

Intel i7-4502HQ, Windows 8.1, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz, 512GB SSD, nVidea GT750M 2GB DDR5, 15.6" LED Backlit Touchscreen (3200x1800), AC Wifi, 3xUSB3.0 with powershare, 1xUSB2.0, HDMI, Mini Displayport, Media card reader. [No DVD drive or Ethernet, appears to have US style keyboard].

2. HP Envy 17-j161ea (£1199)

Intel i7-4502MQ, Windows 8.1, 12GB DDR3L SDRAM, 1TB 5400rpm SATA, nVidea GT750M 4GB DDR3, DVD, 17.3" LED Backlit Touch (1920x1080), N Wifi, 4xUSB3.0 (1 with powershare), HDMI, Ethernet, Media card reader.

3. Dell Inspiron 17 (£899)

Intel i7-4500U, Windows 8, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz, 1TB 5400rpm SATA, nVidea GT750M 2GB DDR5, DVD, 17.3" LED Backlit Touch (1920x1080), N Wifi, 4xUSB3.0 (1 with powershare), HDMI, Ethernet, Media card reader.

Can anybody recommend any of the above? I upgrade rarely and so would like to future proof as much as possible for the next few years. I can't figure out the difference between the processors, even by looking at the Intel site, also what's the difference between DDR3 and DDR5 on a GPU?

Lot's of questions that undoubtedly have been asked before in a similar fashion but I thank you all for your patience.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow