Peter Lacus
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
Re: I have done the unthinkable...
In reply to jim stirling, 10 months ago

jim stirling wrote:

Peter Lacus wrote:

jim stirling wrote:

NR off files {also NR turned off in ACR}, both from RAW first comparison at base ISO , max shadow push.

PMJI but why would you do that? Is "NR OFF" part of your normal workflow? If not, then it's just a moot point IMHO. I think people should be comparing results of their normal workflows without any artificial restraints (you've got the tools so why not to use them(?)). Or am I missing something?

NR off is definitely part of my normal workflow especially at LOW ISO , I prefer to make the decision of the balance between detail and NR . Better shadow noise even at low ISO is an important advantage.

yes, I get that, actually  it's pretty much the same with me - but if the noise is there (and is bothering you), why not use the tool designed for the purpose of its reduction? I personally wouldn't mind if somebody compared D4 shot without noise reduction with OMD shot with noise reduction. Basically use whatever is needed to get your pictures and then compare the results. Yes, you can show that bigger sensor camera is usually less noisy but that just doesn't matter in the end, if you can deal with that noise in an easy and effective way. Just my 2 cents, of course.

Peter Lacus's gear list:Peter Lacus's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Olympus PEN E-P1 Pentax Q Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-01 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow