Recommendations for fish eye lens for Nikon d7100

Started Nov 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina 10-17 fisheye vs Samyang 8 mm
In reply to SpaceDoc, Nov 19, 2013

SpaceDoc wrote:

If you're nervous about manual focus (which I completely understand and feel the same):
get the Tokina then. automatic diaphragm control plus auto-focus.

SpaceDoc

Good recommendation. I'm new to Nikon but all of my diving friends with APS-C cameras prefer this lens for underwater photography where a fish eye is the best lens for Ultra Wide Angle. You usually can't see the lens barrel to focus by scale or set aperture in an underwater housing so AF & auto aperture is a must.

I've been using an Olympus 8 mm f/3.5 FE topside and underwater with great results. It's far superior to the Samyang type. For one thing the Samyang on 4/3 format does not have a 180 degree AOV on the diagonal. It is considerably less. It may be different on APS but not likely, since these two formats are close in size. If I were looking for a DX format fish eye I'd go for the Tokina 10-17 FE or the Nikon 10.5 FE.

Close focus UWA is another spec' to consider. It's fun and useful to be able to place subjects very close to the lens and let the background go soft or be in focus too, but let the relatively small size of the background contrast with the enlarged foreground main subject. See Stacey's photo of a dog below. Ask or read about the minimum focus distance of any FE you consider. The Olympus is about 4 inches (100 mm) from the lens.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow