Film versus digital point-and-shoot

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,462
Like?
Re: Film versus digital point-and-shoot
In reply to dan the man p, 11 months ago

dan the man p wrote:

This is a question I've been thinking about recently. When I was a kid I had cheap film point-and-shoot cameras. Over the last 5-10 years I have had a couple of digital point-and-shoot / compact cameras. Looking back over film photos from family vacations about 10 years ago, I was impressed by the image quality from these cheap film cameras.

I got to thinking, even the cheap film point-and-shoot cameras still used 35mm (or APS) film, the same as the SLRs of those days (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So back then, the only differentiator in image quality between the point-and-shoot and SLR was the lens. Of course, with the SLR you still got much more control over exposure and better performance. Contrast that with nowadays, when there is an additional differentiator - the sensor. Compact digital cameras generally have a significantly smaller sensor than a mirrorless or DSLR. Assuming that 35mm film is roughly equivalent in image quality to a current APS-C

I do not believe that is currently a valid assumption

or full frame sensor

certainly not a valid assumption.

(I know this isn't strictly true and it varies), is it accurate to say that a current point-and-shoot digital camera with a small sensor would have worse image quality than an equivalent 35mm point-and-shoot film camera, all else being equal? Or am I missing something?

In any case, I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions, experiences, or expertise on this matter.

No I do not believe that is accurate.--

denniswilliams

as background, I shoot MF 67 film for a living- and I scan it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow