Is the X-A1 the right camera for me?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the X-A1 the right camera for me?
In reply to bimbert84, 9 months ago

bimbert84 wrote:

bimbert84 wrote:

Hi Randy,

More food for thought. That particular comparison is probably the most relevant one to me right now: X-A1 w/kit lens vs. Olympus XZ-2.

For the sake of argument, let's say these two will produce similar IQ.

Not even close. You are comparing a 1/1.7" sensor to a APSC sized sensor. I have the LX7 which has the same sensor as the XZ-2. The X-A1 destroys it in pretty much every aspect, better color, less noise, better high ISO, better detail...and so on.

Do you mean the X-A1 *with the kit kens*?

The X-A1 with any lens destroy the XZ-2 for IQ.  I think you are referencing the f/1.8 lens on the X-Z2, but don't get hung up on all the DOF calculations and comparisons of small sensor compacts with large aperture lenses with large sensor cameras with slower kit lenses.  The XC 16-50 3.5-5.6 OIS is a good performer, sharp with good color/contrast and it offers reasonably effective Image Stabilization.  It will be extremely useful for general photography.  And unlike the XZ-2, if you ever decide you need wider FOV, a telephoto, or a large aperture lens like the 35 f/1.4, you have all these lenses available to you in X-mount.

If you don't want a DSLR, I would absolutely recommend the X-A1.  I have an X-E1 that I love, but I was down at B&H last week and I had a play with the X-A1 and X-M1.  Both are fantastic.  Small, well made and not too expensive.

Best of luck, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow