Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?

Started Nov 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Old Listener
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
Re: IMG - there is good sense here!!
In reply to thothtp, Nov 18, 2013

The OP asked "Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?".

Nikon and Canon have very comprehensive systems with both APS-C and full frame cameras now.  Their cameras are cost effective and provide image quality equal to or better than other companies offerings.

I don't see the same coverage of diverse needs in other maker's systems now.  They cetainly don't cover my needs as well as Nikon does.  The gaps might get filled in eventually but bringing our new lenses seems to be a slow process for all camera makers.

Canon's or Nikon's APS-C and full frame camera bodies might be "mirrorless" or offer some new kind of hybrid viewfinder in 5 years.  If there is a genuinely better Nikon "mirrorless" body that lets me get full use out of my existing AF lenses, I'll be interested.

Nikon and Canon are weathering the downturn in digital camera sales better than Sony, Olympus or Panasonic.  The other parts of those companies aren't doing well either.  (For some time, Sony has been making money selling insurance and movies and losing money in consumer electronics.) It seems quite possible that one or two of those companies will be out of the digital camera business in 5 years.

Old Listener's gear list:Old Listener's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow