Started Nov 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785Gear list
Like?
Is it worth switching to fullframe?
Nov 18, 2013

I currently shoot with the A55, and a pretty well filled out lineup of lenses.  I will likely upgrade camera bodies in the next few months, especially after seeing what new A-mounts come out next year.

I figure the new APS-C A77 successor, body-only, will run between $1,000-$1,500.  Not sure what a new fullframe body will run.  But the A99 is already available second-hand for under $2,000.

Of course, much of my decision will be based on the options as they are actually available early next year.  If Sony releases a brand new $1,500 A85 full-frame, that could drastically change my consideration.  If the A79 makes such leaps that is leap-frogs the A99 in features and quality, that could also change my consideration.

But for the most part, assuming that a new/used fullframe will still cost more than a pro-sumer APS-C... and assuming that the A99/new FF will still have better IQ than the A79... etc, etc..

I recognize that if I did invest around 2k in fullframe... I'm not going to be in the market for new lenses for a while.  And some of my lenses are crop...

My lenses are as follows:

DT lenses:  The Sony 16-50/2.8.  The Sony 35/1.8.  The Tamron ultrawide 10-24.

My fullframe lenses are:  Minolta 50/1.7.  Minolta 50/2.8 macro.  Sony 85mm/2.8.  Minolta 135mm/2.8.  Minolta 35-105 3.5-4.5.  Minolta 70-210 f4 beercan.  Tamron 70-300 usd.

So I do have a decent number of fullframe lenses but they are mostly older.  Nothing very wide.  And I'd be "giving up" what is probably my best lens, the Sony 16-50.

Some pros of staying with APS-C:  Keeping full use of all my lenses.  Getting extra reach with current lenses.  Saving a bit of money compared to full frame.  Likely faster burst shooting.

Pros of fullframe -- Higher image quality, particularly at high ISO.  Even better DOF control.

Any pros and cons I haven't considered?

Think my current lenses would be sufficient, or would I really miss having a 24-70 walk-around zoom?

If you had my lens lineup and made the jump to full-frame, would you sell off the DT lenses, or use them in crop mode?

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +2 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow