So who was 4/3 originally aimed at?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,831
Like?
A big fail, no pros have or would use it.
In reply to Big Ga, 11 months ago

Big Ga wrote:

The recent article on 4/3 lenses by Michael Reichmann (well ... I'm assuming its him) over on LL is an interesting one. he kicks off with saying "Four Thirds was conceived by Olympus as a new Pro format". I tend to agree.

Big fail then because no pros use it. Maybe a few unknowns but it really failed to capture the pro market.

And the lenses. Stuff like the 300/2.8 isn't aimed at consumers! ALL of the first batch of lenses were quality, weathersealed offerings.

But where are the 400 to 800 that pro's use. They don't have them.

They even tried to set up a global pro support network which did seem to work in some countries for a while.

Again, a big fail.

So what do you think? what was the target market that 4/3 was originally gunning for?

I think it was aimed at people who wanted a small light camera, mainly old people (at least that is what the polls on DPR have shown) and people who do not like the conventional method of photography with a DSLR, usually gear hounds that don't want to look like everyone else but don't use the product so they never find the limitations.

Also people who like Apple, they want to be part of community of people who are like minded, and try to look down on everyone else when their products are overpriced and lack features and standardization. Photogeeks.

Pros buy pro gear, not 4/3rds. I guess I am not sure how anyone could see them aiming this at pros. Or maybe that was the intent but they ended up with old people, gear hounds, and those who bought into the I don't want to be the camera guy ads, they wanted to be cooler.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow