So who was 4/3 originally aimed at?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,512
Like?
Re: So who was 4/3 originally aimed at?
In reply to Big Ga, 8 months ago

It wasn't aimed at noise obsessed pixel peepers like those who frequent this forum.
In "stereotypical" enthusiast style, people are arguing points (hi iso noise, equivalency and dof) which few pros give the same weight in deciding on a camera system. For instance: John Isaac chose Olympus because he knew the optics would be outstanding but also he liked the look of E1 images.

Yes, pros are concerned about noise and dof, but not to the laughable degree of arguing that we see on this site. Believe me, my clients are more impressed with the composition and overall look if my photos than they are with noise levels. Granted, I have developed a style and PP process which reduces the distracting appearance of the noise my E520 produces.

Would any of the performers I photograph want to use my images for a poster or other large scale display? In some cases yes, but most are happy to use them for websites and smaller formats such as press releases, magazine reviews or flyers.

That being said, I will admit that switching to a system that is more of a "standard" for performance photography is tempting. But then I cover a show with associates using FF Nikon and Canon gear. In the small venue where I am house photographer, those cameras draw a lot of attention during a quiet acoustic show. Since I am required to maintain as low a profile as possible, the smaller gear 4/3 affords, especially m4/3 makes it my first choice.

Budget allowing, I would also invest in some FF gear for those times when I want to take advantage of that format's strengths over less obtrusive gear.
--
If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.

http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/

http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow