m43 instead of FF

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156Gear list
Like?
Re: Can't change the laws of physics
In reply to stimpy, 8 months ago

Hilarious. His post is saying exactly what I was. To get the same depth of field and noise level, you have to have an almost two stops faster lens in 4/3 versus 35 mm. His point is simply that perhaps you don't need that performance, and that you decide to make that trade-off when you choose 4/3:

"We’ve already made the decision to forgo extremely shallow depth of field by our choice of cameras. The aperture equivalence talk when harping on crop lenses is only relevant if you are somehow trying to gain back full frame levels of shallow depth of field, or you are somehow trying to get another system to exactly match the output of a full frame system, which is a fools errand. The formats are not equivalent."

But 'which format is best' was the opposite of my point, anyhow. I don't feel there *is* a 'best' format, only formats that meet individual needs. If 4/3 is the perfect system for you, then you are a lucky guy, 'cause there is lots of 4/3 gear out there. But bashing every other system, and essentially calling people idiots because they don't see that 4/3 'the one true system' just sucks.

And finally, though 99.9999% of the people on forums like this are guys, I am not one of them.

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow