Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ioshadha
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?
The secret of old DSLRs
9 months ago

I recently came to realize something interesting about photos taken from old DSLRs.

This all started some time ago when one of my friends showed me some photos taken from a series of his recent trips around the world. The photos where stunning !!! Having an interests in photography I asked him what camera he used for those shots. I expected the answer to be a recent camera with all the bells and whistles... but to my surprise he replied - Ahh, its very old Olympus DSLR and I can't remember the model number. He is definitely not this guy who had any idea of photography at all...

It made me think... and I pulled out some of my own photos from back in the day.. not form a DSLR though. And I did a bit of searching trying to see those photos taken from a DSLR about 10 years ago.. My search showed me that most of these photos are really good.. specially for cameras that had about 6MP or so but APS-C DSLRs. They had great dynamic range, good colors, good IQ in general though I didn't pixel peaking or anything... I thought how?

Is this because those senors had plenty of room for pixels? Was it that they had really low noise? I don't know...

Unfortunately, I can't post this photos I have come across. Maybe you have noted this as well with some of your old photos? I'm not saying these 10 year ago photos are better than the best of the cameras of today but for that time most of those DSLR photos are stunning.

What's your thoughts on this? love to hear your reasoning!!!

Cheers !!

-- hide signature --

Compact to M43. What's next?

ioshadha's gear list:ioshadha's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow