Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?
In reply to Edwaste, 8 months ago

Edwaste wrote:

In that case, this original question is plain pointless. When Olympus and Panasonic announced the 4:3 standard, every "expert" was predicting that standard would die in just a few years. Those experts included the writers at Luminous Landscape, and just about every Nikon and Canon fan.

Fast forward to today, Nikon is putting out a mirrorless system camera with even a smaller sensor than the 4:3 standard. Canon has it's own mirrorless system that's not doing so well.

So what i am trying to say is NO ONE can really tell what's going to happen in five years.

Agreed.  I hate to wager money on 5 years from now.

But I don't spend my money on a system that never innovates,

Never innovates? Puuhhleeese.  Canon brought USM lenses into the world.  Some of the fastest autofocusing lenses I have ever used are either on Canon and Nikon cameras.  Canon brought Image Stabilization to interchangeable lenses.   FOUR stops worth 5 or more years before mirrorless even existed.  I was a long time Canon users when I got my first Fujifilm bridge camera, the S200EXR.  That camera, Fujifilm claimed, had a lens with image stabilization.  It was *laughable* compared to Canon's.  One stop of IS, at best.

Mirrorless companies are trying to innovate to where Canon and Nikon are TODAY with regards to most technology.

just puts out something with a high profit margin, and never takes a risk.

Canon didnt take a risk when it developed the MP-65?  Suuuure.

Nikon didnt take a risk when it develoepd the Df?  Suuuuuure.

Canon and Nikon are validated every 3 months as mirrorless companies announce tens of millions of dollars each quarter.  Now why would they want to throw money down that sink hole?

I'll spend my money with the manufacturers that can dream up new ideas...even it it means a profit loss.

if people spent their money on cameras like they do on computers...Olympus, Sony and the others would be sitting pretty like Apple is now.

Apple makes products that have mass appeal, something that mirrorless makers have yet to do.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow