Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?

Started Nov 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: Direct from NIKON
In reply to Chris Dodkin, Nov 18, 2013

Chris Dodkin wrote:

"Nikon executives said that sales were particularly disappointing in the United States and Europe for mirrorless cameras, which are lighter and cheaper than single-lens reflex (SLR) devices"

Lighter yes? Cheaper? Which models are they talking about?

"Okamoto warned that Nikon may have to rethink its product mix in other regions as falling prices for mirrorless cameras are pinching margins and hurting the interchangeable lens division even as SLR sales remained strong."

Yes, we know from many past experiences that mirrorless cameras cannot hold their price. They simply dont sell well enough and so Olympus, Panasonic, Fujifilm, and Nikon have to dramatically lower their prices.

"Okamoto said that the ratio of mirrorless cameras to SLRs was still growing in China"

Highly questionable. Where's his data?

I know these statements from Nikon don't tally with your predetermined view of the world

Laughable. To the extreme. You are 100% religious about mirrorless and it is transparent for all to see.

- but seeing as you love to quote their financial data

Data.  That's the key word.  The word that you and many other run from the moment it appears.

so much, maybe you should read the rest of the economic reports.

And just for the record, for any other readers here.  I know what I'm writing here can come off as being very much Pro DSLR.  I'm not.  I own 4 mirrorless cameras as well as two SLR's.  I dont see myself buying another SLR any time soon.  I might, but I dont see it happening as of now.

I'd personally be upset when/if Fujifilm, Olympus, or Panasonic throw in the towel.

On the other hand, unlike mirrorless fanatics, I dont feel the need to rip Canon and Nikon left and right ever 4th word.  I dont pretend that they are not innovating when it is in fact they who have brought tremendous innovation into my hobby.

Nor so I blind myself to very clear trends backed up by published data across all the camera companies as well as CIPA.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow