So who was 4/3 originally aimed at?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Max Pegler
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Re: So who was 4/3 originally aimed at?
In reply to Big Ga, 11 months ago

Very interesting post.

I don't know Canikon model numbers, so please feel free to correct any details in the following. So,

- If you've got or read the original Kodak paper, you'd think the future lies in 4/3s exclusively. And a lot of those technical advantages still apply. Still a great read.

- At the time, Canikon were heading in a similar direction. With APC-xyz, A stands for advanced, doesn't it? Wrotniak argued an APC sensor was only about 15% bigger, which is sod-all. But 4/3s was a semi open standard, APC wasn't. At the time, round 1 went to 4/3s. In my view.

- But for marketing reasons, Canikon brought back the 35mm size sensor. Who was first, Canon's 1Dxyz? Then the "bigger is better" fallacy started. Round 2 to Canikon. The rest is history.

So who was it aimed at? My guess with the E1, and half heartedly with the E3, was the pro market. Releasing the E3 & E30 at essentially  the same time was a bet each way.

Regards

Max P

Max Pegler's gear list:Max Pegler's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-520 +42 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow