Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
PenPix
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
Re: XF 18 mm f 2
In reply to LWS2013, 9 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:

Hi,

First I would check to make sure that your X-E1 + 18-55 are running the latest firmware, if they are not then update them.

The 18mm is an excellent lens and one that I used the most however it's quite wide so I would check first if the 18mm end of your 18-55 suits your needs, most people including reviewers have found that the 18-55 at 18mm is sharper edge to edge than the 18mm prime.

AF indoors under low light can be a bit hit and miss on most cameras and when the subject is moving getting the AF to lock can be even more tricky.

If I were buying just one prime to add to my zoom kit I'd go with the 35 f1.4 as this does offer some advantages over the 18-55.

I can see it being useful in a tight spaces, such as Christmas at grandma's house… or spelunking.  The 0.8 f-stop gain is not significant enough to lure me over to that lens.  Regardless, it's a steal of a deal and can be resold for what you paid… if not more.  Just make sure it works and there is no damage.

+1 with the 35mm f1.4

LWS2013… just curious as to what you use your 18mm for as that might help OP with his decision to purchase it?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow