Is the X-A1 the right camera for me?

Started Nov 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
bimbert84
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
Re: Is the X-A1 the right camera for me?
In reply to Randy Benter, Nov 18, 2013

bimbert84 wrote:

Hi cheddargav,

I'm definitely not disputing the advice -- quite the opposite actually. I'm trying to figure out if I'm about to make a mistake I can't really afford to make. If the larger sensor won't really help without a faster lens, I'd rather know that now.

If I understand what I've read, a f/1.8 at ISO 1600 should give me about the same amount of light as the X-A1's f/3.5 kit lens at ISO 6400. If that's true, I'll probably be better off buying a less-expensive compact with a smaller sensor and fast lens.

-- hide signature --

Rob

The X-A1 with the kit lens will definitely give you less noise and shallower DoF than a small sensor compact. There have been a couple of replies here indicating you can get better low light performance and shallower DoF with a fast prime, but that does not fit your budget so it is not really relevant or helpful. None of those people have named a camera that can provide less noise and shallower DoF for $500. I highly recommend the X-A1 in this price range. It produces MUCH better images than the Oly XZ-2.

Hi Randy,

More food for thought. That particular comparison is probably the most relevant one to me right now: X-A1 w/kit lens vs. Olympus XZ-2.

For the sake of argument, let's say these two will produce similar IQ. In that case, the XZ-2 has the size advantage, whereas the X-A1 has the potential to become better via another lens. What I don't want to do is get into a situation where I'm pretty much gonna have to add that other lens.

But I wonder if those two cameras would have the same IQ. I realize that's subjective, and all I have to go by are the sample images I linked earlier in this thread. I believe those are all taken with the kit lens, are they not? Or are they taken with a better lens?

Can I expect similar results? If so, I'll be very happy indeed because to my eye, those images are stunning, both in terms of low noise and shallow DOF. And to me they look way better than anything I've seen near this price range.

-- hide signature --

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow