Is the X-A1 the right camera for me?

Started Nov 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the X-A1 the right camera for me?
In reply to bimbert84, Nov 18, 2013

bimbert84 wrote:

Hi cheddargav,

I'm definitely not disputing the advice -- quite the opposite actually. I'm trying to figure out if I'm about to make a mistake I can't really afford to make. If the larger sensor won't really help without a faster lens, I'd rather know that now.

If I understand what I've read, a f/1.8 at ISO 1600 should give me about the same amount of light as the X-A1's f/3.5 kit lens at ISO 6400. If that's true, I'll probably be better off buying a less-expensive compact with a smaller sensor and fast lens.

-- hide signature --

Rob

The X-A1 with the kit lens will definitely give you less noise and shallower DoF than a small sensor compact. There have been a couple of replies here indicating you can get better low light performance and shallower DoF with a fast prime, but that does not fit your budget so it is not really relevant or helpful. None of those people have named a camera that can provide less noise and shallower DoF for $500. I highly recommend the X-A1 in this price range. It produces MUCH better images than the Oly XZ-2.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow