So who was 4/3 originally aimed at?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
agogo
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
telecentricty and sensor format...
In reply to Big Ga, 8 months ago

I get the feeling that Oly took a calculated gamble with sensor technology advancement - thinking that maybe the technology would move along quicker than it did. They probably thought that within a few years they'd get 12mp, better dynamic range, high ISO, etc, etc, on the tiny sensor, but the technology didn't move as quickly as intended (or maybe not enough resources/budget for R&D, and relying on 3rd party manufacturers). Even though the pro cams and lenses are still big, if the sensors were up to scratch, I think Oly would have done better long term.

Also the sensor size was a choice based on them not being able to compete directly with Canikons FF and APS.

The squarer aspect ratio has its benefits and the whole system was designed purely for digital from scratch - this would benefit too from the telecentric lens designs; sharper across the frame, great zooms, etc. Probably all factors that they considered for the pro market.

I personally think the E3/5 should have stayed with the E1 form - that cam is a joy to hold. I don't know why - or have read anything that suggests the reason why - they abandoned the E1 form factor. I never read one negative review of how good that cam was in the hand.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow