What's so special about the rangefinder shape?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,262Gear list
Like?
What's so special about the rangefinder shape?
10 months ago

I have the X-Pro 1. I also have a Canon P (a real rangefinder), an Olympus trip (a real fixed-lens rangefinder) and a Yashica Electro 35 (a real fixed-lens rangefinder). I am borrowing a Leica M9 (a real rangefinder).

The latter shoots completely different to the X-Pro. When I go to Yodobashi and look at the lenses for the X-Pro, I can't help but notice their shape: they are SLR-style lenses (aperture ring aft, large focus rings in the front).

If the rumoured SLR-shaped X camera really does hit market, why will you dislike it, or why will you not dislike it? Remember: your lenses are SLR lenses. And if you use adapted lenses, you have to use your X-pro exactly like an SLR. The X-E1 has nothing at all in common with a rangefinder. For all intensive purposes, it is an SLR style camera like a Pen from the 1970's but with an off-set viewfinder.

Personally, I welcome an SLR shape. The current one is all just a rouse. If you use the X lenses, you kind of get the 'rangefinder' experience, but only insofar as you use the optical viewfinder. Interaction with the lenses, the behaviour of the camera/lens connection, the aperture chatter- that's all SLR stuff.

If Fuji made an X-Pro with a PIP overlay in the OVF so that manual focus could be done whilst looking through the OVF, I would see a reason to keep the 'rangefinder' style. But then, I would seriously take issue with the current lens design. Until they do, however, the X is just a fun wannabe that has none of the substance but all of the cheap flare.

BTW, it is way funner to use than the Sony a7r.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow