Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,505
Like?
Re: Can't change the laws of physics
In reply to stimpy, 8 months ago

stimpy wrote:

mjl699 wrote:

In a few years I expect sensor technology to be better and that as a result 4/3 sensors will be good enough most of the time. When that happens 4/3s will be at the level APS-C is now. Then users will be faced with the same question they are now - will you put up with the additional size and weight for narrower DOF? I suspect for many the answer will be "yes". Perhaps that includes me too. Until then FUJI !

Yes, m43 may be improving (so is sensor technology in other formats) but the laws of physics and DOF and its relation to sensor size will never change. Users interested in selective focus and beautiful shallow DOF will mostly either use APS-C, FF or larger.

Or maybe they will simply use their m43 bodies with fast glass such as nokton 25/0.95 (also miles faster and more DoF than fuji equivalent).

Even the other less dramatic glass gives more than enough DoF such as the pan leica 25mm f1.4 or the Oly 75.

Next! Lol

The DOF you get on a 25/0.95 will always be shallower on your APS-C, and even more so on a FF than your M43 sensor. The argument that you can just use a faster piece of glass to get the same thin DOF on a smaller sensor as a larger one doesn't work unless camera companies start manufacturing much faster glass exclusively for M43 than what exists for APS-C or FF. The real question is, what lens should I get to match the DOF I can get on the 25/.095 when matched with an APS-C sensor for my M43 camera?

To put it simply, they are different formats and you can't really make a blanket statement that one is better than the other. If I'm on a tight budget and want a pocket sized ILC, a FF camera isn't going to work, while an M43 will do nicely.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow