Why so much resentment on posting to Facebook.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,179Gear list
Like?
Why so much resentment on posting to Facebook.
10 months ago

I see tons of post about the Facebook Generation and needing to post photos of their latte's

I actually enjoy taking good photos of good subjects and sharing them right away on social media. Doesn't have to be lattes, but I can take a photo of my daughter on stage with an phone or my high end point and shoot, why not the latter? I routinely post photos immediately from my collection of enthusiast compacts like the XZ-1, Ricoh GR, Panasonic LF1, and even my micro four thirds. These photos are not always amazing fine art, but  higher quality versions of very important events. Recording memories is the number reason a person buys a camera, why shouldn't it be a higher quality camera than a phone?

Most of the people complaining about Facebook rarely have their photos seen by people who really matter to them. Is sharing your photos on DPreview for maybe one or two other photogs to see really better than posting to your friends and family on Social Media? Or must every photo you take be a fine art print? There is only so much room on a wall, unless its a virtual Facebook wall.

Sharing on Facebook, Google plus, and Twitter creates a thousand times more discussions about my photos than posting them to my website does.  Websites are dead, people don't routinely go to your website to see what you have shot lately unless your a top 100 photographer.  And even then that is just other photogs, not people who really care about you.

I have a website, flickr account, and also a 500px account, and they only get traffic by other photogs or specific customers or other families from my kids performances or sporting events I have shared the link with.  But I have on average three people a week on facebook ask me for help with choosing a camera, how to use their camera, or wanting to pay me for work.

In my opinion photography is a lot more enjoyable because of facebook.  Also I am in three different photography clubs that are based on facebook and we now have meet ups in person and we praise and critique each others photos, and learn new techniques.  I get way more feedback from other photogs on facebook than I do on DPreview.  The reason I am on DPreivew.com so much is that I love talking tech and learning about products and that does not happen on facebook very much.

Z

www.scottzinda.com

My pet peeve is listening to photography snobs criticize others way of doing things.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III +2 more
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Ricoh GR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow