Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,144Gear list
Like?
Hello - my name is Ben Herrmann and I may be a "nut job..."
8 months ago

Hello all...

I need a little group psycho-analysis here.....sigh

You see, over the past 12 years I've been privileged to have owned and/or shot with close to a 100 digital cameras of all types and brands. This has allowed me valued insight into to the capabilities, color signatures, ergonomics, and performance parameters of a wide variety of brands. Now some may argue that I probably didn't realize what I wanted, but actually, I've come to enjoy all brands for what they offer and their design philosophies.

So, when micro 4/3 arrived, I, like many others, jumped aboard, realizing that this "may" be the wave of the future (whether I liked it at all at the time). And as such, I've been shooting with micro 4/3 quite steadily since them. Right now I have the E-M5, E-PL5, E-P3, along with the Panny GF1, GX1, and G5 on the micro 4/3 side of the house.

Alright - where am I going with this posting? Most of us tend to look forward, anxiously awaiting the newest, more advanced camera to be released. And typically, the day after something new is released, threads on a variety of forums begin building about the "next best thing that we can expect." After all, we embrace advances in technology with preferences for faster shooting, better AF, improved high ISO capabilities, etc. And speaking of high ISO capabilities, the advances made with m4/3 cameras in this arena are nothing less than astounding. Who would have ever speculated that the 4/3 sensor would eventually (and is now) on par with most APS-C sized models for high ISO capabilities - just unbelievable. But we've become spoiled and I believe some of us may have lost track on what's important with regards to overall IQ.

Recently however, I've had to stand back and look at what's really important to me. I've looked at image quality, the perceptions we have of color (or should I say preferences), how a camera feels, and the end result....the finished image. In each instance, comparing all of the cameras I've shot with (the old and the new) - their results, their color signatures, and my memories of "fun times" with a particular model, have resulted in my now revisiting many of the earlier 4/3 models as a primary shooting option.

What I've found - and what I've now accepted - is dam be the accepted norm that newer is always better. Over the past few months, I've gone back and obtained virtually new copies of the E-1 (already had an E-1, but wound up with two additional new ones), E-330, E-500, and recently obtained a mint E-300. Some might argue, "what in the hell is he doing - desperately trying to scarf up these old relics...the guy's a nut job!" Well, if IQ is the end result, then one has only to look at images taken by these older models (well-taken images, that is) to see that we've all but forgotten the gorgeous IQ that these models produced. One could argue that they are now all "classics," and that they should be maintained and pampered.

Now don't get me wrong here. I relish the improvements in high ISO capabilities by the newer releases, and I smile every time I shoot high ISO (ISO 3200-6400) with either my Fuji X-E1, Olympus E-M5, Samsung NX-300, or Canon EOS-M. However, when it comes to base ISO's - under ISO 800 - I find myself now consistently being drawn to the older 4/3 models, in particular, those with the Kodak sensor (E-1, E-300, and E-500) - thus my recent overly zealous efforts at landing some mint copies of those older copies (and probably to the amusement of some of these forums). And yes, I most certainly appreciate the E-3 and E-30.

And so it is that I've thrown all sensibilities to the wind (well, sensibilities with regards to the established mindset that advances that "newer and more advanced" are better). I'm now experiencing a renaissance in rediscovery of the pleasures involved with shooting with 4/3 cameras, in particular, the older models in which the color signatures were second to none. And it's also a very good feeling to recall the enthusiasm that was once prevalent on this forum some 3-8 years ago. And it's nice to see some of the "older crew returning to post here in recent days.

So, this begs the question...."Has da Benster lost his mind here?"  Free psycho-analysis is encouraged, but don't get personal here...OK?

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +25 more
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
tldrNew
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow