Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
Re: m43 instead of FF
In reply to Dave Luttmann, 5 months ago

Dave Luttmann wrote:

stimpy wrote:

stimpy wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

Image quality wise a move to m4/3rds would be a real step back, I know that the latest Oly's are great cameras but their image quality is still lacking in most respects.

When you compare image quality from M4/3rds against say the X-E1 and/or say the D800E on places like DPR with their flat test charts the M4/3rds do look pretty good but once you actually use one and stop taking photos of brick walls the image quality is mostly flat and lifeless.

I bought an EM5 and sent it back after half a day.

take a trip over to flickr and compare images from the latest Oly against the X-E1/X-Pro1 and there is a clear difference in image quality.

I know of one or two wedding photographers that use the latest Oly's and although their photographs are great with respect to composition and timing the images themselves are lifeless.

with regards to M4/3rds v APS-C v FF v MF I think it is clearly visible that with each step in sensor size images appear to have more life, they look more natural, more 3D, more depth, that isn't just down to fast lenses but the size of the sensor.

there is a cost/size balance with sensor size, when the X-Pro1 was released the cost/size balance was suited to the use of an APS-C sensor and the same was true for 4/3rds and M4/3rds, time moves on and now Sony have a small system camera with a FF sensor.

Once Fuji add a small APS-C DSLR sharped body with weather sealing and fill the gaps in their lens line up I expect that many will move from M4/3rds and that M4/3rds will face a slow and painful death.

There is only one sensor size direction which Fuji might move and that won't be down.

You're kidding yourself.

The reason you think there is a difference is probably the amount of JPEG processing that goes into the Fuji JPEGS - this has nothing to do with the sensor at all. I'd go so far as to say I doubt you could tell which were shot on m43 and which were shot with Fuji X-Trans if such a test were provided.

Have said this several times, and am yet to have anyone prove me wrong.

PS: if any format will die it's APSC - m43 provides a size benefit with a slight compromise on IQ; FF provides a quality benefit at the slight compromise of size - they both compliment each-other - whereas APSC is neither.

FF is the new APSC, m43 is the new APSC...

You provide me with 3 shots from an M4/3rds and 3 shots from a Fuji x of the same subjects (not a test chart) and I'll accept your challenge.

Yeah you have to specify same subjects, just proves my point. If it's so obvious you shouldn't need a point of reference.

Something is missing in this post....oh ya, it's your comparison images.

I'd have happily provided some real world images from a variety of cameras, but given the way things work around here, if someone didn't like the outcome, they'd complain and have the posts removed.

-Najinsky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow