Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?

Started Nov 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
thothtp
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?
In reply to thothtp, Nov 17, 2013

I asked this question because I am trying to figure out which camera system to buy in to.  Telling me to learn to take better pictures first isn't exactly relevant to the conversation, but I appreciate any input.  Also, your right, Investment is technically the wrong word, of course I don't expect any appreciation in value.  However, I will be dumping a large amount of money into glass and accessories for one companies ecosystem, and I want to buy in to the one that is going to still be in business and current 5 years from now, thus protecting my investment.  I realize that is impossible to know for sure, but the opinions here are at least helping me hedge my bets in the best direction, so thanks for that.

Sounds like the general consensus is Canon and Nikon will likely still be on their current FF mounts in 5 years, which is what I was hoping to hear, that alleviates some fear that I am buying in to a dead end system that will be replaced by a mirrorless only mount system.  I like where Sony is headed and am very intrigued by the A7/A7r, but their current FE lineup doesn't have what I need right now, so I will likely be going in the Canon or Nikon direction.  A year or two from now that might be different when their lens selection is more fleshed out, but I am looking to buy now.

I am still having trouble anticipating whether Canon or Nikon will be the most likely to still be strong and current in the future.  I lived through the Kodak crash and burn first hand, I worked there through a contractor and designed a large number of their products over the last 5 years.  I've seen how quickly it can happen to a company that seems invincible, so hopefully you can understand me doing my due diligence before jumping in to a single companies proprietary system.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow