Started Nov 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,286
Like?
Looking forward: Pentax FF in 2014?
Nov 16, 2013

Now that the Apsc camera line has been completed: K500-K50-K3, with the K5II(s) still available, it may be time to look ahead to what next year might bring. The K3 is looking better the more I see of it, and I will probably get one to complement the K5II(s) in due time.

So what's ahead? Pentax' first ever digital 35mm camera. Ricoh has the motivation and the capital to put Pentax on the map with a larger audience and over various platforms. Rumors all indicate or point to a 2014 release, so over the next 10 months at most, all things regarding the new 35mm line up, body and lenses, should be revealed. Most likely seems a Pentax classic K3 style body with regular OVF and probably the safox 11 AF from the K3. No anti aliasing hardware, but if possible the same multi functional SR as the K3, including AA-filter simulation. Pentax kept the 645 price relatively low by (where possible) re-using hardware/software parts from their Apsc platform. I only read this (never had a 645), but it seems credible enough that the first 35mm Dslr will be doing the same, and why not?

Pentax should not wait too long though. The release of the Sony A7/A7r will be tempting for all those that have legacy pentax glass, or even the FA ltd's, and want to use those lenses as intended, and also feel tempted by the lure of higher, cleaner IQ with increased tonality and DR for e.g. high quality landscapes or low light photography. I have four Zk Zeiss lenses myself and find the Sony bodies very promising. I could imagine that among the many FA ltd owners there will be interest also. Most of all though I would want a Pentax FF.

What are your thougths on this upcoming new body (even though it is mainly speculation for now, it is very likely that it will come soon)? Much can already be deducted from the K3, which is a superb basis for development of the FF camera, but mainly: what sensor would you like the 35mm body to have? Should it follow the high resolution development from the K3 and feature 36mp, or would you like a more modestly priced K3 body with 24mp FF and processing? Whichever, I have no doubt whatsoever that the new Pentax FF body will have IQ that will be reason for a lot of unreserved excitement!

Chris

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-500 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow