Why no "magic lantern" type of magic for sony?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
success100
Contributing MemberPosts: 725Gear list
Like?
Why no "magic lantern" type of magic for sony?
10 months ago

Ive been wondering why someone hasn't created any type of hack for Sony Dslts.

For anyone who is not familiar with magic lantern, its a mod for Canon Dslrs that lets you do things that the camera could not do from the factory. For example the canon t2i was never supposed to be capable of 60p video output. Magic Lantern unlocked it along with a host of other things.

Now, I own a a77. It does not have the *cleanest* video, but I use it for paid gigs and it most certainly gets the job done to my clients liking. I recently shot with a buddy of mine with a canon 6d and it dawned on me. His camera can do up to iso 12000 or something like that in video. My video oriented a77, will not go over 1600. Is it that the camera is not capable? IMO NO. Sony says the reason video is limited to iso1600 in the a77 is because the increased voltage to the sensor to provide higher iso during video would cause overheating...however... a57 can do up to iso3200 in video. My question is, is it that Sony is...UNHACKABLE? I would LOVE to be able to push my a77 to iso6400 like the a99. It makes a difference! Noone wants to use f1.4 for video for example. You can't keep anything in focus. If I were able to use iso6400 that would make the difference of me being able to shoot video at f1.4 vs for example f3.5 in video.

So would I want to use iso6400 in video? Maybe, maybe not, but being able to shoot higher than iso1600 could make the difference between me using one of those top mounted LED lamps or not for example in club videos.

So I know i'm talking in circles, but Panasonic video on the GH2/GH3 has been hacked for higher bitrates and frame rates. Canon cameras have been hacked to do the same and more. Why is that Sony hasn't yet? Is it undoable, or do you think its a matter of just not enough interest in Sony DSLRs for video?

Ive thought about switching brands because of this but this like focus peaking, 60p/1080p video, articulating screen, etc, make it hard to switch. Id like the a99 but its out of my price range. So what do you guys think

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow