Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?

Started Nov 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Khun_K
Contributing MemberPosts: 761Gear list
Like?
Re: Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?
In reply to thothtp, Nov 15, 2013

Electronic viewfinder will quickly replace optical, ever faster.  The camera is no longer a camera business but consumer electronics.  The only thing Canon and Nikon that remains superior is the system, and lenses, and exactly by that, slows down their developments, that is not good for them.

Newer generation of consumers grew up used to the name of SONY, or may we say Apple, newer architecture and lenses are the way to go, what was advantage would eventually be disadvantage, as we have seen may giant fell, we may see some big one stumble if they did not adapt quickly, and giant is difficult to adapt.  We might have seen the best of Canon or Nikon, awhile ago.

In modern electronics, the best system is the system we have yet see, but it would come. But I am quite sure, DSLR is not counted, it may probably still exist for some time, but not main stream any more, even for pros. Pros in business has never look back, they look forward, always adapt the newest and best, DSLR is a thing of past, it may still be quite good, or very good, but not the best, because the R&D is shifting away from it.

thothtp wrote:

So here is a loaded question... Who's Ecosystem do you see being the strongest 5 years from now?

Some seem to think that full frame mirrorless is going to be the eventual future of pro photography, but the question is who will end up in the best position. So far Sony is the only one with a full frame mirrorless (other then leica, but they aren't really in the same ballpark) but their FE Mount system is just being born and needs a lot of time to develop. Nikon and Canon both have their main full frame mount systems fully developed, but neither company has mirrorless camera systems that can support full frame yet. Who do you think will end up in the end with the best developed system, if Nikon and Canon (inevitably?) released full frame mirrorless models. Do you think Nikon and Canon will stick to their current FF mounts, even with new mirrorless bodies, at the expense of lens size?

On the other hand, SLR may still be the main structure for pro cameras 5 years from now, in which case the Canon or Nikon systems will remain the most developed. In that case, do we see Nikon or Canon in a better position 5 years from now? Or even Sony SLTs with their advantages? Much has been said of the financial challenges of all 3.

Or another curveball, will full frame go extinct because of better sensors and glass catching up in quality, and will micro four thirds or APS-C cameras take over for pros?

Reason I ask is I am about to jump in to a full frame system, and have nothing tying me to any one of the brands (selling my current APS-C system off.) If you were starting over full frame right now, with en eye towards investing for the future, which system would you go with? This is over all types of photography, as I do portrait, landscape, wildlife, sports, and video.

-- hide signature --

Regards, K
www.kaisernchen.com
http://www.kaisernchen.com/blog/

Khun_K's gear list:Khun_K's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow