Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?

Started Nov 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,460
Like?
5 years is a VERY long time for Digital cameras.
In reply to thothtp, Nov 15, 2013

Pre digital, it was a blink of an eye. What you are really asking is which companies will still feel the need to provide marketing support for a 5 year old system rather than which company has the best and most dynamic set of plans for their fleet of cameras.

I will add, however, that my Olympus E30 DSLR is around 5 years old and still works great and still takes wonderful photos. Well, I take wonderful photos with it, let's be honest!

No one could say Olympus' DSLR program is HEALTHY, but overall their path towards the future seems a reasonable one. Olympus HAS come up with what seems to be a reasonable and affordable upgrade path for me and guys like me. Will I take advantage of it? I don't know, but it isn't something I can discount completely. And I do like the 4/3s system overall, I'm rather intrigued with the Panasonic GX7, even though it would mean new lenses.  I've GOT to have a camera to eye configuration, it's the way I like to shoot.

I've come to the conclusion that buying for the long haul in the digital camera world may mean too many compromises with CURRENT photo taking opportunities. Buy what you need to take the photos you want to take next week; after all, the camera companies are producing what they would like you to buy within 6 months to a year, and will drop you like a hot potato the minute they can make money doing so. Let your 5 year older self take care of the future.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow