Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thothtp
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Who's FF system will be in the best shape 5 years from now?
8 months ago

So here is a loaded question... Who's Ecosystem do you see being the strongest 5 years from now?

Some seem to think that full frame mirrorless is going to be the eventual future of pro photography, but the question is who will end up in the best position. So far Sony is the only one with a full frame mirrorless (other then leica, but they aren't really in the same ballpark) but their FE Mount system is just being born and needs a lot of time to develop. Nikon and Canon both have their main full frame mount systems fully developed, but neither company has mirrorless camera systems that can support full frame yet. Who do you think will end up in the end with the best developed system, if Nikon and Canon (inevitably?) released full frame mirrorless models. Do you think Nikon and Canon will stick to their current FF mounts, even with new mirrorless bodies, at the expense of lens size?

On the other hand, SLR may still be the main structure for pro cameras 5 years from now, in which case the Canon or Nikon systems will remain the most developed. In that case, do we see Nikon or Canon in a better position 5 years from now? Or even Sony SLTs with their advantages? Much has been said of the financial challenges of all 3.

Or another curveball, will full frame go extinct because of better sensors and glass catching up in quality, and will micro four thirds or APS-C cameras take over for pros?

Reason I ask is I am about to jump in to a full frame system, and have nothing tying me to any one of the brands (selling my current APS-C system off.) If you were starting over full frame right now, with en eye towards investing for the future, which system would you go with? This is over all types of photography, as I do portrait, landscape, wildlife, sports, and video.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow