Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: To watermark or not to watermark?
In reply to Toccata47, 9 months ago

Toccata47 wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

As the whole website pages are 1024x768px and the 3:2 ratio images are 750x500px, They couldn't be much bigger and still leave space for the thumbnails that allow the user to browse at their own pace.

The images at their current size are also making the page weigh in the region of 1MB. If they were any larger they would be dragging the download speed even more than what they are. Increased image size may help some visitors but a slow download speed will have far more of them clicking out and onto another website. Also page speed is a factor in Googles rankings.

I think you're stumbling on the details and missing the big picture. I can't think of a single time a slow down load kept me from viewing a print I was considering for purchase. On the other hand, I've left in frustration several sites that don't allow you to see high quality images. You're not remaking flickr, this is a business.

Similarly, page ranks will have zero impact in your sales unless people are googling "prints for sale". If people are going to your site it will be because of name recognition and/or advertising/web presence. That's the real work.

Anyway, good luck. I hope some of this is helpful.

..Some interesting points
This is my first website and I've built it from scratch so for now its about getting it up and running. Then I can hopefully sit back and analize for improvements. Marketing is the next learning curve I gotta get my head round :-/

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow