Help me choose the right format going forward.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SlamdunK
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Help me choose the right format going forward.
11 months ago

Hi,

I have invested in the m43 system and have been very satisfied with it. Especially when i had the GF1, but it had its shortcomings and never really enjoyed the camera handling of GF2 or G3 too much. I have really enjoyed all my m43 primes and found them excellent. But before I invest further in m43, I want to ensure that I am on the right track.

Recently I have investigated the Fuji X system, and the lens selection and camera style/ergonomics seems spot on for what I want with the x-e2. the 14mm, 23mm, 35mm and 56mm lenses especially caught my attention.

Changing format is an effort, and I want to hear your experience, especially from an IQ perspective. I would think that the APC format has its advantages, but the m43 sensor have come a far way and the lenses are excellent. With interesting bodies like the GM1 and GX7 the bodies also seems to become more interesting.

I had almost made up my mind to go for the Fuji x system, but then I checked out the Studio Scene comparison tool here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=sony_a7r&attr13_1=panasonic_dmcgm1&attr13_2=fujifilm_xpro1&attr13_3=sony_nex6&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=100&attr16_1=125&attr16_2=200&attr16_3=100&normalization=full&widget=41&x=-0.6275331039958629&y=0.0833817486252104

I thought that by looking at it, my choice to go Fuji X would become obvious, the sensor should be close to FF from what I have heard.

But looking at the scene made me more uncertain. I actually thought the X system was the least sharp of the four selected cameras. It really made me think twice if I was on the right track. The sony 7 sweeps the floor, I actually think the tiny GM1 came second and that the APC cameras come last here. I know that Sharpness isn't everything, the APC with a larger sensor would example give a little advantage in DOF control.

Can you help me make sense of this, and convince me that Fuji X system is the right way to go?

-- hide signature --

I.B.
GF2, G3, 45mm, 25mm, 20mm, 14mm, 8mm, LVF1

SlamdunK's gear list:SlamdunK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +2 more
Fujifilm X-E2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow