Why Pentax Need a New Mount Now

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Wasting time and $$ on an MILC won't help them remain one of the "Big Four"
In reply to marike6, 10 months ago

Hi Markus,

I guess we agree that a FF DSLR should be on Pentax's agenda next.  As far as FF MILCs are concerned I think it's case of 'wait and see' right now.  If the A7 & A7r sell well, you can be sure other manufacturers will be considering whether to follow.  That might include Ricoh/Pentax.  As it happens, the tip of today at Sony Rumors (always true of course ;-)) is that the A7 pre-order sales are 200% over forecast..... If it IS true, I think it probably reflects pent up demand for compact FF that hasn't previously been satisfied because there simply hasn't been an AF FF MILC at all.  It's been an unserviced gap in the market - probably the last one.

The difficulty for any company entering the FF mirror-less arena is the lenses. If Pentax did want to offer a FF mirror-less camera, it might not be such a major exercise if they stayed with K mount.   It may be that DSLR lenses perform as well as any.  The early indications are that they do perform well on the new Sonys where there is clearly an issue with corner performance for many legacy RF WA lenses.  Pentax would need to design an ergonomically acceptable FF MILC body and some new lenses that would cover the gaps in their lens range.  (Prime FF lenses wider than 31mm and FF zooms are the obvious gaps.)

I'd tip Fuji to be next. I can't see their flagship X Pro series holding premium prices (ie when the next version is released) if there is an FF MILC available that is both smaller and sealed for a few hundred dollars more.  They're already tipped to launch a fixed lens FF mirror-less X200 next year.

Interesting times.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow