Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
oldphotog2
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to dylanear, 10 months ago

I remember some 20 yrs ago and more, Nikon had a wonderful campaign in marketing. "Nikon - we take the worlds greatest pictures." Something like that. On the page was several iconic Pulitzer Prize photos.

I had the first book on the Pulitzer Prize photos, one category listed was the camera & lens used. Entry after entry was Nikon with a few Leica's. One entry back in the 50's was a Kodak brownie.

When in the military 40 yrs ago in Vietnam, we joked around that if ammo ran out we would swing our Nikon F over our head as a bludgeon because it was indestructible.

Around 1989 give or take a couple years. Canon dropped all their customers by introducing the EOS system. Overnight those with Canon F-1's and big glass were left in the gutter. Canon drew a following in the next few years because their big glass had motors in them, thus Canons focused faster than Nikkors. One of the reps for Nikon stopped by the newspaper and we brought up the subject, his response was "Just hold in there and just wait." Couple months later Nikon announced the F-5 and changed the game. One of the reason was Nikon was being loyal to their customers by not leaving customers in the gutter by trying to keep the mount and focus motor in the body to work.  But when it came to sports, the photog's were changing over including my newspaper and the competition. Even my college newspaper has switched to Canon! I'm the only Nikon faithful, and have been for 41 yrs.

Five yrs ago I went to the Amazon with a new D-200. Talked with a photog there and was informed that Canon fluorite lenses developed fungus there, but Nikkors were safe.

Several of those who switched to Canon some ten years or so ago are now changing back to Nikon. Their reason is the glass is sharper. Yet the top local photo shop pushes Canon and their reason to me was Canon ships things with no hassle, Nikon is a pain to work with.

oldphotog2's gear list:oldphotog2's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow