Why Pentax Need a New Mount Now

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114Gear list
Like?
Re: Wasting time and $$ on an MILC won't help them remain one of the "Big Four"
In reply to marike6, 8 months ago

marike6 wrote:

The ONLY way for Pentax to remain as one of the big four (Canon, Nikon, Sony/Minolta, Pentax) is to finally grow a pair and release a FF. It makes zero sense that they make a high end Medium Format 645D, and no FF. And now people here are actually talking about a MILC? Has this forum lost its mind? What a waste of a great camera company.

Hi,

I agree that including an FF model is the future, but as I said in my earlier post I don't think it's 'either/or' with DSLR and mirro-less, but both.  People in this forum have been writing about both for years.  Yes a DSLR is the more popular and should probably be offered first.  Ricoh/Pentax already makes MILCs - the only debate is about what form makes for successful business.

I don't know whether you've spent a lot of time looking at the Sony A7s.   The A7r is generating a lot of interest as a camera that offers D800e IQ in a much smaller package and at two thirds of the price.  It won't suit those that that need DSLR performance, but there are a lot of people from right across the brands  who're indicating that they'll buy one.  My point isn't to discuss the Sonys here in the Pentax Forum, but to highlight that the concept of FF mirror-less is actually very popular with a sector of the market, even if not yourself.  I acknowledge that you don't like EVFs - you've made that clear - but they're not a deal breaker for buyers who are prepared to trade OVFs for much smaller size and weight.  To me as a long distance hiker and landscape enthusiast, and to anyone else who values light kit, FF mirror-less offers a lot.

As an aside, I don't understand your comment that it made zero sense to make a 645D and no FF.  The 645D had no competition at its price point. There was none at all.   FF DSLRs had and still have very heavy competition. Any concept of an upgrade path from APSC or FF in relation to the 645D is nonsense.  They're very different markets with a different set of difficulties for any new entrant.

Regards, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow